Why Gateway – Range of Grid Sizes
Gateway offers an extensive array of grid configurations from ranging from 3*4 (12 locations) to 10*14 (140 locations).
- Not all users of AAC systems demonstrate the same physical abilities or visual skills therefore multiple grid sizes are needed to match varying user abilities.
- Individuals with significant visual or motor limitations may benefit from having a smaller number of symbols on a page.
- Having access to pages with fewer buttons can improve accuracy when selecting symbols, minimizing communication breakdowns.
- As skills improve, users can seamlessly transition to a larger grind sizes without needing to relearn vocabulary contents and location.
- Those with good vision and dexterity benefit from a large grid size where high frequency core words are available in a single key selection.
- Pages containing 66 to 140 symbols minimize navigation and increases efficiency for users of all ages and abilities.
- Individuals using a Language Acquisition through Motor-Planning (LAMP) approach can benefit from Gateway’s 8*11 – 10*14 Grid sizes.
- All App platforms that support Gateway offer a “hide” feature enabling users who may initially require a limited number of symbols on a page to grow into a more complex page without relearning vocabulary contents and location.