Why Gateway – Efficient Communication
- When constructing messages symbol-by-symbol, having access to an efficiently organized AAC App is key. Efficient communication enables children and adults to engage in face-to-face communication with peers and to compete in an educational and vocational setting.
- The more intuitive the organization, the fewer cognitive demands placed on the user to recall the location of fringe vocabulary. The Gateway augmentative communication App uses the Fitzgerald Key as it organizational framework.
- Apps that require extensive symbol sequencing slow down the rate of message delivery, limiting effective communication.
- Individuals who are accessing their augmentative communication App through direction are more easily able to engage in conversation with their speaking peers when they are able to quickly and efficiently compose their messages.
- Individuals who access their device or App through scanning require a system that enables them to speak words with a accessed by a single key selection. Apps or devices that require symbol sequencing can minimally double the physical effort required to communicate.
- With Gateway a user can create a sentence using an average of 1.5 key selections per word across all page sets combined.
- Sentence Development Links and Gateway’s Dynamic Morphology are two key features that make the Gateway augmentative communication App one of the most efficient Apps available to both child and adult AAC users.
- Efficiency is highly correlated the grid size. Smaller grid sizes (e.g., 3*4; 4*5) require more key selections than larger grid sizes (e.g., 6*11; 10*14).
- Gateway for Proloquo2Go offers an 8*10, 9*11 and 10*14 grid sizes in addition to those found in Gateway for the Tobii Dynavox Compass App and Saltillo’s TouchChat.