Test of Aided-Communication Symbol Performance© (TASP)
by Joan Bruno, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
The TASP is an augmentative communication (AAC) Assessment tool that can be used to quickly and easily assess AAC symbolic skills. It can be used with a wide variety of clinical populations including children with autism, apraxia, cerebral palsy and developmental delay. The TASP is a “paper” tool, making it ideal for individuals who who find it challenging to stay on task when technology is introduced. It is an essential component of an AAC evaluation. The TASP provides a starting point to guide the design of communication boards and assist in the selection of an appropriate SGD or augmentative communication App. By understanding how a child perceives and understands symbols, professionals can determine if the single meaning symbols used in Apps such as Gateway, Word Power, Crescendo, Speak for Yourself are better suited for a student than Apps or SGDs that use multi-meaning icons. The TASP can also be used to help establish appropriate AAC intervention goals that target symbolic and syntactic development.
Additional benefits of the TASP:
- Serves as a tool to benchmark progress in aided communication performance
- Uses Picture Communication Symbols (PCS) and complements other components of the AAC assessment process
- Includes subtests, which can be administered over a period of sessions to test understanding of:
- Symbol size and number
- Grammatical encoding
- Syntactic performance
- Establishes basals and ceilings for each subtest
- Appropriate for children through adults who have the physical ability to point to symbols from a field of four (4)
- Administration time ranging from 10 to 20 minutes depending upon individual’s skills
- Scoring procedures are objective and rapid
- Test forms are reproducible
- The TASP is an easy to use tool for assessing a range of symbolic skills needed to: (1) design a communication board, (2) select an AAC App, (3) select an AAC device and (4) establish appropriate AAC intervention goals.
- The TASP can be used with children and adults. Adminstration time ranges from 10-20 minutes.
- The TASP is a “paper” tool, making it ideal for individuals who who find it challenging to stay on task when technology is introduced.
- View a brief video for more information. The TASP can be purchased through Mayer-Johnson, LLC (SKU M3MJ205) Cost – $299.