Children and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Children and adults with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and other developmental disabilities often face challenges that make learning language and spontaneous communication difficult. Limitations in receptive and expressive language and vocabulary are not uncommon. This is often noted by the use of incorrect word order when constructing sentences or by the failure to add endings such as –ing –ed, -s to words. Topics of communication may be restricted and communication tends to focus on immediate needs and wants. Impairments in social communication often result in a lack of conversational turns, and limited use of comments, questions, and other pragmatic functions.
Gateway’s Child Functional and Teen Adult Functional Vocabularies are designed to enable children and adults with ASD and other developmental disabilities to quickly and efficiently express their needs and wants. It contains features geared to promote communication in social settings and to enhance communicative competence.
Key Features of the Child Functional and Teen Adult Function Vocabularies include:
- A high frequency core vocabulary complimented with fringe vocabulary that focuses on commonly requested items such as sensory objects or actions.
- A “My Things” page that allows for easy personalization by family or staff, making the most frequently used fringe vocabulary quickly accessible to the user.
- Use of “Sentence Development Strips” to facilitate use of Subject-Verb-Object sentences.
- A Fitzgerald Key organization to facilitate use of correct word order during spontaneous message formation.
- A simple categorization framework with direct links to frequently used categories such as FOODS, CLOTHES, HYGIENE, and PLACES
- Easy access to a “School Core” to promote active participation within the school environment.
- A range of grid sizes from 3*4 (12 locations) to 10*14 (140 locations) accommodating individuals transitioning from a PECS approach as well as those utilizing an approach such as Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP).
- An easily accessible Tool Bar that provides direct access to features such as:
- Quick Chat
- Sentence Starters
- A comprehensive array of Theme pages to enhance social communication within the community and other functional settings.
- About Me
- About You
- Comments and Questions
- Time to Learn
- Time to Relax
- Time in Town