What’s a Newbie?
- As you likely know, a Newbie is a nickname for someone who is new to something.
- Someone who may have recently started working in the field of AAC is a newbie.
- Parents whose children are being considered for or recently started using an AAC device are newbies.
- Students beginning course work or clinical practicums in AAC are newbies
- Someone who is a new member on an AAC team or job is a newbie.
- Newbies are just starting out. This word — which has ‘new’ right in it — is a slang term for someone just starting an activity.
What’s Are the Goals for – AAC News for Newbies?
- Share Evidence-based information on AAC and related topics.
- Help parents and professionals make informed decisions regarding AAC App/device selection and implementation.
- Describe creative therapy activities to promote classroom participation and conversation.
- Provide examples of how the Gateway Core Vocabulary App enables users to develop language and literacy skills.
What can you expect?
- Biweekly information posted midweek
- Posts consisting of:
- Informational lists or “listicles“
- Article reviews from, The American Journal of Speech – Language Pathology, The Journal of Communication, The Journal of Medical Speech- Language Pathology
- Lesson plans and assessment tips from speech-language pathologists working with AAC users
- Recommendations for resources to use with specific AAC populations